Grid’5000 is a large-scale and versatile testbed for Cloud, HPC, Big Data, networking, and AI. It is composed of 8 sites (located in France and Luxembourg), and more of 800 servers than can be reserved at the bare metal level. The sites are connected together with a 10-Gbps dedicated backbone.
Resources include, as of early 2020: (up-to-date information is available at https://www.grid5000.fr/w/Hardware)
- 34 clusters
- 829 nodes (servers)
- 14828 CPU cores
- 156 GPUs
- 10 Gb Ethernet, 25 Gb Ethernet, Omni-Path, Infiniband, etc..
The main features of the testbed are:
- Reservation of resources at the bare metal level, with the ability to deploy custom environments (Debian is provided, Centos and Ubuntu will be provided soon). Experimenters can typically reserve a set of nodes (possibly large) and configure their own software stacks on top of them. Tools are provided to help the deployment of some software stacks, such as OpenStack.
- Network reconfiguration at the VLAN level to isolate experiments from the rest of the testbed, or build custom topologies.
- Advanced monitoring capabilities, especially for power measurements. Using specialized devices, experimenters can monitor the power consumption of the nodes they reserved.
- Support for Big Data experiments, with large storage spaces available for medium-term storage inside the testbed, and nodes with several disks (HDDs and SSDs).
Specific features for particular kinds of experiments
Wired networking experiments & SDN experiments
- Dedicated 10 Gbps backbone between sites, isolated from the public Internet, with isolation between users (VLANs)
- Nodes with up to 5 network interfaces (4x10G, 1x1G) ; many nodes with two connected 10G network interfaces
- Bare-metal server access with support for running DPDK and OpenVSwitch
- Support for deploying OpenStack clouds in the context of the user experiment (fully controlled by the experimenter, and possibly modified by the experimenter), using ENOS
- Other software stacks are supported by the community (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Basically any complex software stack can be installed on Grid’5000 thanks to the bare-metal deployment and network reconfiguration features
Big Data experiments
- Nodes with up to five disks (HDDs or SSDs)
- Disks on nodes can be reserved outside of nodes reservations
- Total storage space available on nodes: 1100 TB
- Shared storage space available on the testbed (Ceph clusters and large NFS servers)
- GPU nodes for Big Data processing
Email: Lucas Nussbaum
- Specific information for Fed4FIRE users: https://www.grid5000.fr/w/Fed4FIRE
- Detailed description of Grid’5000 resources: https://www.grid5000.fr/w/Hardware
- Main Grid’5000 tutorial: https://www.grid5000.fr/w/Getting_Started
- Introduction slides about Grid’5000 (April 2018): http://www.silecs.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/nussbaum-grid5000.pdf